Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What I wanna be when I grow up...


What do I want to be when I grow up? That question is a little bit more painful this week....I turned 34 on Monday. And I've been sorta looking at my life, single, never married, have a good job, I play outside doing trips, climbing, camping, canoeing....I don't have a bad life.

But what am I gonna do when I grow up? There are several reasons I feel that I haven't yet "grown up". One I haven't gotten married and settled down, I still haven't finished an official college degree, and I haven't bought a house. All these things that I looked at in my younger years as signs that I would have arrived at the "grown up" stage.

But there are other more sinister signs of my immaturity....I struggle with simple obedience to Christ. Daily spiritual disciplines are a chore. And this area of lustful addictions, that doesn't rank high on my list of growth areas. I'm still in the same rut I fell into when I was 16-17 years old.

All is not lost...God has a plan, and with each passing year I need to make more effort to discern that plan and ask Him for the strength to follow it. I want to be able to look back a year from now and see 34 as a turning point, a year that God used to prepare me for the rest of the years I have left on this spinning rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment