Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Withered Hand

So I wasn't going crazy in church this week....I did write about the guy with the withered hand last week, the pastor mentioned it in his message today. But it could be more than just a hand, a withered faith, a withered hope, a withered spirit, it could be all those areas of you and me that have taken damage as a result of the sin in this world and the sinful choices we've made.

His hand was withered, probably for years....no normal hand shakes, curious stares from children (and prolly adults), whispers behind his back, can't open things right, can't work, can't feel, can't reach out and touch someone without them cringing...so he stops trying. Hand withered first, hope withering day by day.

Did he have hope that day? Why was he in the temple when Jesus was there? Did he think the Master would even notice him?

But Jesus knew, He knew without looking at him....He knew. He knew the pain that the hand had caused....regardless of how it got that way, and He was going to do something about it. If Jesus had asked the man to walk to another city to be healed...would he have gone? If Jesus said, do this and do that, would he have done it? If Jesus had suggested a 'course of action' that could begin to heal the withering....would he have followed it?

Or would he have said, "Well, I really hate this hand, but that city is quite far off....and I'm not sure if I can fit those things you asked me into my schedule this week...'healed' you say? Like functional healed, or cosmetic healed?" And in his heart the questions that ring even louder, "If you can heal my hand, can you heal all of me?"

And who is the "guy with the withered hand" when suddenly his hand is no longer withered?

God, you know the withered parts in me, the parts that keep me from being able to reach out and touch people, the parts that cause me to hide in shame. You've suggested a course of action, you've given companions for the journey....so why haven't I left town yet? (figurative, I'm not moving anywhere - that I know of)

Things to ponder...

Days Sober = 1
Consecutive meetings = 0

No comments:

Post a Comment