Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Shameover

shame·o·ver
/SHāmˌōvər/

shame = 
a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.

hangover = 

1.the disagreeable physical aftereffects of drunkenness, such as aheadache or stomach disorder, usually felt several hours aftercessation of drinking.
2.something remaining behind from a former period or state of affairs.
3.any aftermath of or lingering effect from a distressing experience:


My neighbor coined a phrase (or he heard somewhere else).  Shameover.  It was the awful feeling he had when he woke up in the morning and realized how much money he had spent at the strip club.  But it can apply to any of the things we do/pursue in life that we know aren't good for us, are not in line with the who we think/know we should be.


I am still working thru the shame of realizing the ways in which i have not only allowed lust and sin into my life but entertained it.  I enjoyed its presence.  I kept telling myself things wouldn't go further....but they always do.  And each new line that is crossed (or re-crossed) is adding to the shameover.


It's really only when I am willing to admit what I have done (sharing with another) that I can begin to 'cure' the shameover.  The real 'cure' is in Christ, admitting my guilt to Him and asking for forgiveness but, for me, if that is all the farther it goes the shameover hangs on.


The first step is recognizing you have a shameover...admit to yourself what is the cause of it.


Then we can begin the process of curing our shameover by admitting the source of our shame to Christ and trusted others...and work towards not getting drunk on our pet sin again.


There's no quick cure for a shameover!

No comments:

Post a Comment