Monday, November 17, 2008

God of Last Resort

That was part of a phrase my pastor used on Sunday. And it struck me, not totally in context with what he had in mind, but it struck me nonetheless. And I had to ask myself do I use God as a "god of last resort"? Like the self destruct sequence in every SciFi movie, or the oracle that is so hard to get to that you only go if it is the very last thing you have left to do. Do I only go to God when I have used up all of my options? 50/50, phoned a friend, polled a room full of people I barely know....THEN if none of those work...."Ah, God. I could use some help down here."

The crazy thing is, God is so loving, so kind...He is willing to be my God of Last Resort. He is willing to help when I have played all my cards and the dealer is still winning. He is willing to let me phone ALL of my friends, and when I finally ask Him...He answers. I have to assume there is disappointment that I wouldn't come to Him first, hasn't He proven Himself faithful, hasn't He come thru countless other times? Would it be so hard to try Him first?

I need to do more than try Him first. I need to see Him as my only option, not the Holy Last Resort, but the sole option. Alpha - Omega. Only hope, only love, only shield, only healing, only salvation, only God, first resort....and my last resort.

Why do you always find the thing you were looking for in the last place you looked? Cause that is where you finally stopped looking.

God help me to find whatever it is that I'm looking for, in You.

sober 26 days

No comments:

Post a Comment