Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prop 8

In a recent conversation about a vigil being held on campus in support of Prop 8 (recently defeated by California voters), I had this response;

I really struggle with how to meet people where they are but yet not water down what I believe. I believe that far more people (than most church folks would like to admit) struggle with sexual issues (same-sex or addictions) So these issues aren't going away anytime soon, but the answer isn't to accept it, make it a happy part of society, and hope it doesn't have grave consequences on the kids growing up in those homes.

God made it so that kids got different needs and elements in their development met by the differing elements of mom and dad, male and female. The reason this idea of gay marriage seems so appropriate to the the rest of the world is squarely rooted in the same ideas that give rise to evolution, global warming, and extreme environmentalism.

God is a myth.

And if God is a myth, then Planet Earth is all we have - so protect it above even human life. If God does not exist, then there is no divine design for families and we can concoct whatever sort of thing we want and call it a "family" or a "marriage". And if God did not create life, in the Beginning, then there is no one to tell us it's not okay to end it when we feel like (early or late).

So while I struggle with the immediate pain that rejecting Prop 8 causes gay and enlightened folks, I have to fall back on the fact that God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Ultimately I rest easier in the knowledge that these are not my arguments, ideas, or rules...they are God's - I'm just following orders. But I need to follow those orders and see the underlying desperate need for acceptance that they are trying to gain thru this and other actions in their life.

The idea of needing to be accepted, and being willing to do almost anything to get that acceptance is not foreign to me. But how I choose to convey my beliefs in the hard conversations of late - that is where I struggle to show compassion and still hold the line on my beliefs. Right now I hold the line pretty darn good...it's the compassion that seems to suffer.


days sober = 28

No comments:

Post a Comment