Friday, November 21, 2008

Milestones

As a kid we always used to play this card game called Mille Bornes. Apparently its french for 1000 miles. The goal was to lay down milestone cards of 20 50 or 100 miles, with the goal of hitting 1000. The tough part of the game was you had to have a "green light" card in order to lay down miles...we'll that wasn't so bad, it was the obstacles that other players could throw in your way; Accident, Panne d'essence (out of gas), Creve(flat), Limite de vitesse(speed limit). Not only did this prevent you from laying down any more miles, you had to remedy the problem before you could move on. My strategy was always to get the BIG mileage cards and lay them down, so I would sorta ignore the smaller milestones constantly pushing for the big ones. Thing is, most of the time the winner did it by consistently laying down small milestones and avoiding the Hazards.

Today I am at 30 days sober. I have not had this many sober days in a row yet this year. So it is a work of God's grace and power in my life to bring me to this place again. But as I sit and think, "30 days...." - there are some voices inside my head try to tell me that 30 days isn't that long, or it's okay if you go act out again - you can get it back later. But those voices are not telling the truth.

30 is a milestone, it's not 90 days, it's not a year....but it's a milestone that says I'm on the road, I have the green light, I'm putting down miles, and hopefully I'm avoiding the worst of the hazards.

That, in Mille Bornes, is a winning combination.

days sober = 30

1 comment: